The educational aim of the Department of Electrical Engineering is to foster intellectual and creative electrical engineers equipped with theoretical and experimental expertise, ethical foundation, and international competitiveness. In order to achieve such objective, we offer students outstanding educational opportunities including interdisciplinary internship and research programs.
Our electrical engineering programs encompass electrical energy and power generation, transformation and control engineering that are the essential technologies for constructing knowledge-based high-information societies.
Our curriculum is supported by sufficient educational systems including ABEEK, experimental equipment and various research programs. The research programs include energy and power systems including plasma and superconducting systems, new electric energy, electric machineries, power electronics, control and automation, and electromagnetic environments.
The vision of Electrical Engineering at Yeungnam University remaining at the forefront of electrical engineering is “Imagining and Innovating Our Life.”
The Department of Electrical Engineering at Daegu University and Cheonggu University which were merged into Yeungnam University in later had been founded in 1965.
|2005||The night program in the Department of Electrical Engineering with a student capacity of 30 was established.|
|2006||Our department received accreditation from the ABEEK (Accreditation Board for Engineering Education for Korea)|
|2008||Our students have received ABEEK certification as well as their bachelor of science in engineering degree.|
In our department, there are currently about 400 undergraduate students and 60 graduate students (40 master and 20 doctoral students) who will play pivotal roles in industries and governments.
The reputation of Electrical Engineering at Yeungnam university for high-quality education, research, and public service enables us to increase demand for students of electrical engineering from world-class domestic companies (e.g., SAMSUNG, LG, HYUNDAI, KIA, POSCO, and KEPCO).
The major companies that our alumni are currently serving are as follows: KEPCO, SAMSUNG Electronics, LG Electronics, LG Display, POSCO, HYUNDAI Heavy Industries, SAMSUNG Heavy Industries, DOOSAN Heavy Industries, public or national research institutes, HYUNDAI Motors, and KIA Motors.
We also provide various certifications such as instructor certification (24 in electrical, electronic and communication classes), electrical technician, and electric construction technician.
In addition, some of our students continue their studies at domestic and foreign graduate schools.
Kwon, Soon Hak,ProfessorHomepage
- Tokyo Institute of Technology Systems Science & Control
- Keio Univ. Electromagnetic Wave Engineering, Antenna Engineering, EMI/EMC
Ju Hyun Park,ProfessorHomepage
- POSTECH Nonlinear Dynamics
- Seoul National Univ. Power Electronics
- Seoul National Univ. Power Electronics, Electric Machine Drives
Rhee Sang Bong,ProfessorHomepage
- Hanyang Univ. Power System, Smart & Micro Grid
Lee, Hai Young,Professor
- KAIST Process Control & Diagnosis
Dong-Kyun Woo,Associate ProfessorHomepage
- Seoul National Univ. Numerical analysis and Design of Electric Machines
JIHONG KIM,Assistant Professor
Choi, Byoung Ju,
Sidharth Sabyasachi,International Research Professor
- Visvesvaraya National Institute of Technology(VNIT)
SATWANT SINGH,International Research Professor
- Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology
Albina Kamalova,International Research Professor
Tahir Khurshaid,International Research Professor
- Yeungnam University
sorted by the position and Korean name
Department Of Electrical Engineering
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 1- 1
- GENERAL PHYSICS I
- Introduces classical mechanics. Space and time: straight-line kinematics; motion in a plane; forces and equilibrium; experimental basis of Newton's laws; particle dynamics; universal gravitation; collisions and conservation laws; work and potential energy; vibrational motion; conservative forces; inertial forces and non-inertial frames; central force motions; rigid bodies and rotational dynamics.
- PRACTICAL ENGLISH
- The aim of the course is to help students develop basic English verbal skills in real life situations. The course will be co-taught by Korean and Native English instructors. Korean instructors will provide students with basic English structure, vocabulary, and expressions, and students will be encouraged to practice speaking English utilizing basic English structures. Students will further practice expressing themselves in English with native English instructors.
- This course contains basic properties of sequences, limit of functions, continuous functions, rational and irrational functions, transcendental functions, elementary calculus, 3-dimensional vectors, and matrices.
- SEMINAR FOR ACADEMIC LIFE
- 1. Summary of the course This course is to assist university freshmen in CRM designing to adapt university life well through the instruction and counselling of supervising professor. (This course is composed of self analysis, personality type test, career research, instruction for the success of university life, career plan and direction setting, CRM designing method and CRM designing. The course should be teaching in classes of the students by supervising professor.) 2. Course objectives This course is to motivate the students before the mid term exam and provide students with self analysis, personality type test (MBTI or TCI) and career research (YAT test). Also, this course shall has a plan to instruct the students to enhance the efficiency of university life through career and time management. In addition, this course is to make a chance for the students to have practical assistance to university life by providing study method, report designing strategy and the information on academic system and various kinds of internal programs of the university. After the mid term exam, the students will be instructed to set the direction of career designing through continuous counselling of supervising professor and the students will be able to establish CRM designing and execution plan.
- SOCIAL CONTRIBUTION AND SERVICE
- This course is to cultivate community sense as members of society and the global village for students in order to develop the basic knowledge required as global citizens. Especially, this course is to foster the spirit of cooperation, sharing, service, and creativity and study the social contribution and leadership to solving the challenges the global community faces. As a liberal arts course, it is centered to nurture a leader having the global capability to contribute to community development through learning the knowledge and the case on the value & logic of social responsibility focused on environmental preservation, social contribution, and good governance(ESG). This course aims to foster a generous mind, learn knowledge and technology and build the capacity to contribute to building a society towards a safer and happier world through the study of theory and practice.
- SOFTWARE AND AI
- Software and AI (Artificial Intelligence) course aims to educate the basic concepts of software and computational thinking to use them in various applications. It allows students of various majors to experience the core technologies of the 4th industrial revolution, such as big data, machine learning, and AI. It also introduces various applications of AI so that students can easily apply these technologies to their field of study. This course classifies the lecture types into three categories, and adjust the lecture difficulty according to the student's academic ability.
- As the latest technologies such as Artificial Intelligence, Big Data Analysis, Block Chain are emerging, the importance of software is being emphasized. In this course, we will try to study the theory and practice of C programming language which is the basis of such software development. This course allows us to form a programming mind while cultivating programming problem solving and logical thinking skills.
- CALCULUS I
- Calculus(1) covers the following: Sequences, limits and continuity of functions of single variable, derivatives, properties of derivatives, differentiation rules, higher order derivatives, applications of derivatives, definite integrals, indefinite integrals, properties of integrals, integration rules, applications of integrals, infinite series power series.
- INTRODUCTION TO ENGINEERING DESIGN
- This subject invokes the interests of freshman engineer to engineering prior to regular engineering subjects. Creative problem solving skills are taught in the class such as brain storming, generation, analysis, practice, evaluation, and improvement of idea through minimum theory and various design projects, etc. Various projects for visual thinking and drawing, power writing skills, model bridge design, are carried out to operate, evaluate the performance of students on group base competition and thus enhances teamwork and communication skills. By taking this course, freshmen begin to have interests in engineering design and can develop creative problem solving skill, and eventually develop strong desire to continue engineering career.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 2- 1
- DIGITAL LOGIC DESIGN
- This lecture deals with basic concept of Boolean algebra, Karnaugh map, digital logic circuits such as AND, OR, NOT, NAND, NOR gates, and finite state machines for analysis and design of digital logic systems including combinational and sequential circuits.
- BASIC ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING LAB Ⅰ
- This subjects offers the experiment in the field of basic electrical engineering, which includes how to use experimental instruments, electric circuital law, single-phase ac circuit, electric power, etc.
- CIRCUIT THEORY I
- This course provides the fundamental method to analyze the basic electrical circuits. This course analyze the basic circuits with resistor, capacitor and inductors. It also lectures the Thevenin-Norton equivalent circuit, and the analysis method of the first-order circuit with RL and RC. The AC steady state analysis and frequency reponse of the basic circuits are also covered in this course.
- ELECTROMAGNETISM I
- The primary purpose of this course is to acquaint the student with the electromagnetic theory, especially with the electrostatic field theory. This course treats the basic vector analysis treatment, electric field and potential computations of the electrostatic field, and steady current.
- ENGINEERING MATHEMATICS I
- - Laplace transform - Vectors - Matrices - Vector calculus - Orthogonal functions and Fourier series - Boundary-value problems - Integral transform method - Functions of a complex variable - Series and residues
- CAREER DESIGN
- 1. Summary of the course This course is to let the students to set the career goal at the early stage of university life through systematic and continuous counselling and instruction on CRM achievement and change of career designed by the students after the admission to the university. This course is to let the students attain career management method and edit, complement and confirm the CRM in a systematic manner by self analysis and analysis of employment competence while the course is being taught. Also, this course is to utilize video lecture as the secondary teaching material to let the students have competency in employment. 2. Course objectives This course is to assist to the enrolled students in designing their own employment plan for themselves by the education of drafting application materials for employment (resume, statement of purpose and application forms), communication skills and presentation skills. Furthermore, the course ultimate goal of guiding the students to systematically design (manage) CRM at each grade of the university with the counselling by the supervising professor until the time of graduation.
- ELECTRICAL AND ELECTRONIC MATERIALS ENGINEERING
- This course provides a basic introduction to electrical and electronic materials. The lecture will cover a wide range of properties of electrical and electronic materials and their device applications.
- ELECTRONIC CIRCUITS
- The object of this course is to develop in the students the ability to analyze and design electronic circuits. This course covers in the field of diode-rectifiers, single-stage BJT and FET amplifier, power amplifiers and signal generators.
- NUMERICAL ANALYSIS
- Numerical analysis is a blend of mathematics and computer science that has produced powerful tools for solving intractable problems in science and engineering. This course covers error analysis, solution of equations of one variable, interpolation and polynomial approximation, numerical integration and differentiation, numerical solution of initial problems, direct & iterative methods for solving linear systems, solutions of systems of nonlinear equations, approximation theory and approximating eigenvalues, and numerical methods for partial differential equations.
- BASIC ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING LAB Ⅱ
- This subject treats several applications related to electric engineering. Main topices to be treated are as follows: - Filters - Rectifiers - Amplification circuits - Switching applications
- CIRCUIT THEORY II
- This course presents the basic concepts for the design and theory of AC circuits. The lecture includes following issues : - Basic Definitions and Concepts - Complex Numbers and Phasor Algebra - The R-L-C Circuit - Polyphase Circuits - Fourier Analysis - One/Two Port Networks - Distributed Constant Circuit
- ELECTROMAGNETIC THEORY Ⅱ
- This course deals with the electromagnetic theories concerning about the magnetic field concept, time-varying fields, Maxwell’s equations, and plane electromagnetic waves.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 3- 1
- ENGINEERING MANAGEMENT
- This course is to provide students with sufficient insight into the nature of engineering and business management so that students make a commitment to pursue the solutions for real economic problems. With the theoretical background acquired by this course, students can prepare for successful professional careers.
- ELECTRICAL WIRING DESIGN
- This course treats several technique to design of electrical wiring systems. Main topics are as follows : - Introduction to electrical technologies - Wire connections - Grounding - Planning a residential wiring - Planning a commercial wiring - Principle of illumination
- GASEOUS ELECTRONICS & HIGH VOLTAGE ENGINEERING
- This course covers a wide range of basic theory and technologies related to ionization and decay processes, basic theory of discharge, breakdown mechanisms of insulators, generation of high voltage, measurement of high voltage and applications of high voltage.
- NEW ENERGY ENGINEERING
- This course covers a wide range of basic technologies related to concept of energy, fundamentals of electric energy systems, new energy generations, energy storage, and relations between energy and environment.
- AUTOMATIC CONTROL I
- The aim of the this course is to provide opportunity to study the basic of feedback control systems. This course deals with modeling of dynamic system, signal flow graph, state equation, characteristics and performances of the feedback control system, simple stability analysis of linear system using Routh-Hurwitz method, root-locus techniques, frequency response techniques, stability of frequency domain and design of feedback control system. In addition, basic knowledge about state space method analysis will be reviewed.
- ELECTRIC MACHINERY Ⅰ
- This course presents the operating principle, performance, and applications of electric machines. The lecture includes following issues : - Magnetics, Electromagnetic forces, generated voltage, and energy conversion - Transformer principles - Transformer connections, operation, and specialty transformers - Synchronous motors - Synchronous generators
- POWER TRANSMISSION ENGINEERING
- Power systems engineering deals with the generation, transmission and distribution of electric power. Recently, And a introduction of smart grid and micro grid requires students to have fundamental knowledges about electric power system. Through this lecture, based on power systems generation, transmission and distribution line characteristics, optimal operation and protection scheme of power system will be introduced. In addition, new power system issues will be dealt with in this lecture.
- TECHNOLOGICAL REVOLUTIONS AND ENGINEERING ETHICS
- This course is designed to enhance the virtues and the problem-solving abilities which are required for students who will be scientists or engineers in the future, by virtue of providing students with the knowledge of the main normative ethical theories, the methods to deal with ethical issues in their fields, and the practical knowledge of how to become a desirable scientist or engineer.
- ENERGY AND ELECTROMAGNETIC COMPATIBILITY LAB.
- This course consists of experiments about the concepts of power delivery, applications, and interference of electromagnetism. With the experimental equipments of transmission system, plasma, razor and electromagnetic, student will be understand a power utilization schemes as like transmission and operation characteristics and consideration problems.
- INDUSTRIAL PRACTICE 1
- The objective of this class is to provide the students of the Department of electric engineering and technology with the opportunity of applying their knowledges to the problems in the industry.
- SERVOMECHANISMS LABORATORY
- This course aims at enhancing the creative and applying abilities of the students for the courses that they have learned such as electronic circuits, logic circuits, control, microprocessor, etc. In addition, this course provides the students with the opportunity to develop creative and cooperative mind
- TEACHING MATERIALS AND TECHNIQUES FOR ENGINEERING EDUCATION
- Selected formulations of instruction and teaching-learning process applicable to technical high school and general high school based on curriculum for the subject of technical education. Also this lecture provides opportunity for the student to make teaching plan, teaching materials and evaluation, teaching method, and skills in the field to improve attainments as a teacher of high school.
- AUTOMATIC CONTROL II
- In this course, based on the knowledge learned in Automatic Control (1), the main objective is to learn various modern techniques related to the stability and stabilization of dynamic systems in the time domain. Unlike classical control based on frequency domain analysis, the main emphasis of this course is to focus advanced technologies dealing with dynamic systems in state-space. Details include vector space, state equations, controllability, observability, nonlinear systems, and so on.
- ELECTRIC MACHINERYⅡ
- This course presents the operating principle, performance, and applications of electric machines. The lecture includes following issues : - Principles of three-phase induction motors - Performance and applications of three-phase induction machines - Single-phase induction motors - Principles of direct-current machines - Characteristics and applications of dc motors - Characteristics and operation of dc generators - Special machines
- OPERATION OF ELECTRICAL DISTRIBUTION SYSTEM
- This lesson includes topics on distribution system planning, load characteristics, application of distribution transformers, design of overhead and underground distribution lines, distribution substations, primary systems, and secondary systems; voltage drop and power-loss calculations; application of capacitors; harmonics on distribution systems; and distribution system protection and reliability.
- POWER ELECTRONICS
- This subject deals with the operating principle of power converters using power semiconductor switches, that is, the operation of DC/DC, DC/AC, AC/DC, AC/AC power conversion.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 4- 1
- AI AND INDUSTRIAL APPLICATIONS
- This course treats AI techniques used in electrical engineering-related industry such as factory automation, building automation, water treatment industry, automatic facility diagnosis etc. Specifically, this course discuss corporate profits(lower the defective rate, lower the accident rate etc) by using AI techniques like expert system, fuzzy model & control, neural net model & diagnosis etc. Furthermore, this course deals with the relationship between smart factory and AI.
- ELECTRONIC ENGINEERING LAB Ⅰ
- This subject offers basic operating principles, structure and performance of electric machines including direct and alternating current type and transformers. The no load and short-circuit test of transformers and three-phase connection,the generation of electro-motive-force of acgenerators, and load and torque characteristics of the dc and induction motors are investigated.
- ENGINEERING CLINIC AND CONSULTANT
- In this course, students propose electrical engineering, a computing and/or eletronic system and parform the entire process of design, development, test, documentation and presentation. Two or three students are encouraged to build a team for the project.
- ENGINEERING EDUCATION THEORY
- Selected theories of engineering education that have application to technological high school, cooperative education between industries and school, career guidance or vocational guidance and evaluation of engineering education are explored and evaluated in this course.
- INDUSTRIAL PRACTICE 2
- The objective of this class is to provide the students of the Department of electric engineering and technology with the opportunity of applying their knowledges to the problems in the industry.
- POWER ELECTRONIC SYSTEM
- This lecture deals with the control and applications of different types of power converters. The design of power electronic circuits and controllers and practical applications of power converters are lectured. Also, the computer simulation techniques of power electronic systems will be studied.
- ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVES AND EMI/EMC ENGINEERING
- Electromagnetic waves and EMI/EMC engineering deals with the efficient use and applications of electromagnetic waves and EMI/EMC problems. The students will be learning basics of electromagnetic wave theory from Maxwell's equations, wave equations, plane waves, poynting theorem, and guided wave transmission. The lecture also discusses the fundamentals of EMI/EMC, which consists of electromagnetic interferences, sources of conducted and radiated emissions, frequency spectrum, shielding and grounding, measuring apparatuses for EMI, and the EMC-related standards.
- DIGITAL CONTROL SYSTEM
- This course covers theory and design for digital feedback control of dynamic systems. The contents including z-transform, state variable techniques, stability, digital simulation, time-domain analysis, frequency-domain analysis, design of digital control systems, optimal linear digital regulator design will be covered. Main design topics are as follows : - Design of basic digital control system - Simulation of digital controller - Design of optimal linear regulator
- ELECTRICAL ENERGY CONVERSION
- This course presents the principle, applications, and energy storage methods for electric energy conversion from electrical energy to mechanical energy or from renewable energy to a different type of electrical energy.
- LOGICAL THINKING AND WRITING SKILLS IN ENGINEERING
- In this course, the students in educational study for engineering field will be trained about logical thinking and writing abilities.
- MICROPROCESSOR AND APPLICATIONS
- The goal of this course is to solidify and build upon a student’s knowledge of microprocessor structure, its operation, and how to use etc. Specifically, the course performance outcomes are: Understanding some preliminary knowledge for microprocessor related to experimental apparatus and software coding.
- SPECIAL LECTURES BY INDUSTRY LECTURERS FOR 4TH INDUSTRIAL REVOLUTION
- This course is composed of scheduled seminars given by lecturers from industries. The objective of the course is to introduce the students with the specific job environments of and required abilities for the compnaies in the IT-mechanical fields. It is expected that this course will help students in preparing for their potential jobs in related fields.