The Department of Korean Language & Literature comprises Korean language and Korean literature, which are the foundation for all academic studies or researches related to Korea and Korean people.
The Korean language curriculum deals with Korean speech and writing, and includes some fields such as modern grammar, ancient grammar and history of the Korean language. The Korean literature curriculum consists of Korean poetry, novels, essays, dramas, and literary criticism.
Graduates currently plays an active role in various fields as reporters, copywriters, poets and novelists. And some of the graduates continue their studies in graduate schools and become professors or scholars.
Education, Publishing, Literary writer, Copywriter, Scriptwriter, Media and Press, Literary Critic, Journalist, Columnist.
Kim, Ki Ho,Professor
- Yeungnam Univ. Cultural Korean & Oral Literature
Kim, Mun ju,Professor
- Korea Univ.
Kim Jeong Hwa,Professor
- Catholic Univ. of Daegu Korean Classical Poem
- Yeungnam Univ. Korean Novel
Park, Seung Hee,Professor
- Yeungnam Univ.
- Sogang Univ. Sino-Korean Literature Criticism
- Seoul National Univ. Korean Modern Drama
Choi, Dong Ju,Professor
- Seoul National Univ. Korean Syntax
Kim Se Hwan,Associate Professor
- Seoul National Univ.
SEO, HUIJEONG,Associate Professor
- Kyung Hee Univ. Korean Language Education
William Algeo,International Professor for Education
sorted by the position and Korean name
Department Of Korean Language & Literature
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 1- 1
- CONVERGENCE- AND INTEGRATION-BASED THINKING AND WRITING
- The ability of analyzing and solving problems is emphasized as one of the conditions for survival in the 21st century and one of the core elements of creative capabilities. This course was designed to cultivate convergence- and integration-based creative capabilities, which are integrated problem-solving capabilities to collect, analyze and process knowledge and information by reinforcing the ability of analyzing and solving problems, recreate it in a synthetic fashion, and express it effectively through speech and writing. The course will help the students cultivate their synesthesia thinking and communication skills based on sympathy with other human beings, understanding of the community, and positivity or Gongseong that is sought after by Yeungnam University. Its ultimate goals are to promote the students' creative knowledge development and reinforce their writing capabilities consistently through "convergence- and integration-based thinking and writing as a problem-solving approach."
- LANGUAGE AND HUMAN BEING
- Only human being has language, and has developed culture by it. The purposes of this lecture are to help students understand the characteristics and structure of language, and to introduce them basic notions and methodology for linguistics. And this lecture aims to increase student’s scientific interest in language by showing the relation between language and literature, psychology, sociology, and computer science.
- PRACTICAL CHINESE(I)
- This course is for students just beginning to learn Chinese. The most difficult aspect of learning Chinese is pronunciation. So, first of all, in this course students will learn how to pronounce Chinese correctly. Then, through topics of daily life conversation, students will learn the basic communication skills Chinese as well as basic grammar.
- PROFESSIONAL ENGLISH
- The aim of the course is to help students develop basic English verbal skills in real life situations. The course will be co-taught by Korean and Native English instructors. Korean instructors will provide students with basic English structure, vocabulary, and expressions, and students will be encouraged to practice speaking English utilizing basic English structures. Students will further practice expressing themselves in English with native English instructors.
- SEMINAR FOR ACADEMIC LIFE
- 1. Summary of the course This course is to assist university freshmen in CRM designing to adapt university life well through the instruction and counselling of supervising professor. (This course is composed of self analysis, personality type test, career research, instruction for the success of university life, career plan and direction setting, CRM designing method and CRM designing. The course should be teaching in classes of the students by supervising professor.) 2. Course objectives This course is to motivate the students before the mid term exam and provide students with self analysis, personality type test (MBTI or TCI) and career research (YAT test). Also, this course shall has a plan to instruct the students to enhance the efficiency of university life through career and time management. In addition, this course is to make a chance for the students to have practical assistance to university life by providing study method, report designing strategy and the information on academic system and various kinds of internal programs of the university. After the mid term exam, the students will be instructed to set the direction of career designing through continuous counselling of supervising professor and the students will be able to establish CRM designing and execution plan.
- UNDERSTANDING OF KOREAN CLASSIC LITERATURE
- The purpose of this course is to give students a basic understanding of Korean literature. The major subjects are concepts and scope, genre, periodization of Korean literature.
- ACADEMIC ENGLISH
- The aim of the course is to help students increase their fluency and accuracy in English. The course will be co-taught by Korean and Native English instructors. Korean instructors will provide students with an opportunity to practice English structure, vocabulary, and expressions, and students will be encouraged to enhance their verbal skills by actively participating in classroom activities. Students will further practice expressing themselves in English with native English instructors.
- PRACTICAL CHINESE(II)
- This course is for students who successfully completed Practical Chinese(I). Students should be aware of basic Chines grammar and can speak a little Chinese. This course will focus on a little more advanced grammar and expressions. Utilizing a variety of common everyday situations, students will practice what they have learned in Practical Chinese (I)
- PRACTICAL SINO-KOREAN
- This is distinguished from the general Chinese course, focusing on learning of Chinese required in a daily life. Presently, most undergraduate students are not good at reading and writing the elementary Chinese characters, so this course aims at mastering Chinese which is available in an actual life. By teaching Chinese for the beginner and the intermediate level of student, this course will be helpful to their speech act, culture, and even an employment examination.
- INTRODUCTION OF KOREAN MODERN LITERATURE
- In this class, Students should understand the key concepts and flow of contemporary literatures. In addition, Sudents are able to review the major authors and works of contemporary literature to go in-depth understanding of the Korea Literature.
- INTRODUCTION TO KOREAN LINGUISTICS
- The goals of this course are to give students a basic understanding of the concepts and theories and to help students prepare for linguistic investigation of the Korean Language.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 2- 1
- HUMANITIES PROJECT AND STORYTELLING
- This course is to help students understand the new humanities identity in cultural prosperity era and also have them learn and practice cultural contents and storytelling related with it. Humanities Project is generated as those from new cultures realize the cultural value of need and hybridity based on get a job in korea literature and language department’s student. The major objective of this course is to foster persons of ability in this cultural prosperity era through the process of understanding, experiencing, and practicing a variety of cultural contents realizing such humanities identity. Particularly as education for humanities classic contents, regional cultural resource contents value as humanities for solving problems of this era resulted from the lack of existing education of liberal arts, this will turn out to be crucial education to cultivate persons of ability for Korean literature demanded in this.
- HISTORY OF KOREAN LANGUAGE
- The aims of this lecture are to study the division of the Korean language history and to survey data and linguistic characteristics of each periods.
- SEMINAR IN MODERN KOREAN POETRY
- The aims of this lecture are to study the structure, technique, and methods for analysis of modern Korean poems, to understand the characteristics and merits of modern Korean poetry, and to study East and West Poetics.
- UNDERSTANDING OF KOREAN PHONOLOGY
- The aims of this lecture is to understand phonological inventory, permissible arrangements of phonemes in words, and the phonological process of the contemporary korean language by computer.
- UNDERSTANDING OF MODERN KOREAN NOVEL
- The purpose of this lecture to study the basic theories of Korean modern novels andto analyze or discuss the contents, structures and techniques of major works multiterally.
- CAREER DESIGN
- 1. Summary of the course This course is to let the students to set the career goal at the early stage of university life through systematic and continuous counselling and instruction on CRM achievement and change of career designed by the students after the admission to the university. This course is to let the students attain career management method and edit, complement and confirm the CRM in a systematic manner by self analysis and analysis of employment competence while the course is being taught. Also, this course is to utilize video lecture as the secondary teaching material to let the students have competency in employment. 2. Course objectives This course is to assist to the enrolled students in designing their own employment plan for themselves by the education of drafting application materials for employment (resume, statement of purpose and application forms), communication skills and presentation skills. Furthermore, the course ultimate goal of guiding the students to systematically design (manage) CRM at each grade of the university with the counselling by the supervising professor until the time of graduation.
- LANGUAGE & CULTURE
- This course looks at the research and theories into how human language is influenced by culture and social contexts. A variety of languages and cultures will be examined. The effects of culture on language change and the role of race and ethnicity will also be discussed.
- CLASSICAL KOREAN NOVEL
- The purpose of this course is to give students understanding of Korean traditional novel from the earliest stage to the late 19th century, emphasizing general features, short history and critical approaches to some major novels.
- KOREAN LITERATURE IN CHINESE
- This course is designed to help students understand the concept of Korean Literature in Chinese character comprehensively, dealing with its genre, scope, history, thought, critical theory and examining Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese and Korean literatures comparatively.
- KOREAN MORPHOLOGY
- The goals of this course are to give students a basic understanding of general rules and principles of Korean Grammar, and to help students develop their ability to analyze words and sentences of Korean.
- SEMINAR IN MODERN KOREAN POETS
- This course is designed to give an overview of trends in the history of modern Korean poetry centering around discussions on poets by examining major poets' lives and world of literary works in the history of modern Korean poetry such as Kim So-wol, Han Yong-woon, Jeong Ji-yong, etc.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 3- 1
- HISTORY OF CLASSICAL KOREAN LITERATURE
- The purpose of this course is to give students understanding of Korean literary history from the primitive ages to the late 19th century, emphasizing the change of genre and authors.
- INTRODUCTION TO CREATIVE WRITING
- The aims of this course are to understand the characters of poetry, novel, essay, criticism and drama, and to train the ability to create works of various forms in literature.
- KOREAN LITERATURE AND WORLD LITERATURE
- Korean literature has proceeded in relation with world literature. This feature applies to modern literature and comtemporary literature. They has been especially closely related with western literature and Japanese literature. This lecture treats Korean drama in relation with western drama and Japanese drama. English texts and Japanese texts are used in this lecture.
- KOREAN SYNTAX
- The goals of this course are to give students a basic understanding of Korean syntactic phenomena under the framework of modern syntactic theories, and to discuss how to provide a reasonable explanation for them.
- METHODOLOGY OF KOREAN EDUCATION
- This course studies educational theory of Korea language,its historical background, its purpose,and analyzes recent secondary school teaching processes.
- PHILOSOPHY OF COMMUNICATION IN KOREAN CLASSICAL LITERATURE
- The purpose of this lecture is to examine the communication of the various Chinese literary works and materials in Korea as a text and to reinterpret the meaning contemporary.
- KOREAN DRAMA AND PLAY ARTS
- The drama is one of the three major genres in the literature along with the poetry and the novel. For the purpose of understanding Korean literature, we examine the nature of drama and special features of korean drama.
- KOREAN SEMANTICS
- This course is designed for introduction of the semantic theorys, especially semantic and programatics.
- CONTEMPORARY KOREAN WRITERS
- This lecture aims at the critical study of the biographies of major modern writers in Korea and searching the writers' identities related to the characteristics of their works.
- KOREA MODERN POETRY AND ETHICS OF COEXISTENCE
- In this class, Students will know by studying the works of poetry came from an alien presence in our society have suffered any pain and conflict. For these issues to be studied and that the poets present the possibility of any healing and resolution.
- NOVEL AND SPACE
- In this course, we look at the meaning of the spatial geography of East Asia and explore the meaning of space with literary geography. We will also explore the spatial characteristics of the novel through the correct understanding of space and location.
- READING OF MIDDLE-AGED KOREAN LANGUAGE
- The aim of this lecture is to understand phonology, grammars, vocabulary and orthography of Middle Korean language through reading old documents.
- STUDY & TEACHING METHODOLOGY ON KOREAN TEACHING MATERIALS
- This course deals with the characteristics of the Korean language, analysis of secondary school teaching materials,drawing up lesson plan, teaching methods and practical teaching experience.
- POETRY OF YI-DYNASTY
- The purpose of this course is to give students a basic understanding of poetry written in the Yi-dynasty, emphasizing sijo and kasa.
- UNDERSTANDING OF KOREAN DIALECTOLOGY
- The goals of this course are to give students a basic understanding of dialectology, and to survey the fundamental features of each Korean dialects.
- UNDERSTANDING OF KOREAN ORAL LITERATURE
- The purpose of this course is to give students understanding of all genres of Korean oral literature and methods of reasearch.
CurriculumThis table demonstrates the curriculum accroding to academic year. 4- 1
- EAST ASIAN CULTURE AND TRADITIONAL POEM
- We understand how the Korean classical culture has existed in East Asian culture at the time of the Joseon Dynasty, and now we examine the status and significance of the classical poetry in a multicultural society.
- LANGUAGES OF THE WORLD AND KOREAN LANGUAGE
- The objective of this course is to help students understand the universality and particularity of the languages of the world and Korean language. To achieve this, this course investigates the similarities and differences of the languages of the world while comparing and contrasting them. Topics include the genealogy of the languages of the world, phonology, morphology, syntax, semantics, and pragmatics. Furthermore, it will provide a good chance to seek human culture and various ways of thinking, and to understand foreigners and multicultural families in Korea.
- POETRY OF ANCIENT KOREA
- The purpose of this course is to give students understanding of poetry from the earliest age to Goryeo-dynasty emphasizing hyangga and goryeo-gayo.
- THE LOGIC AND WRITING OF KOREAN LANGUAGE
- 'The logic and writing of korean language' aims to improve the logical and writing through logical analysis and language presentation. And this class encourages students to deeply understand korean language, language theory, essay of discourse and literature statement. A course of study this class consists of language logics and writing, analyzing and synthesizing the good writing products of in the korea language.
- THEORIES IN TEACHING COMMUNICATION
- This course helps students to study various theories of understanding and expression in communication, and to get broader understanding on the basic principles of communication, and on the effective methods of teaching communication.
- UNDERSTANDING OF CLASSICAL KOREAN CRITICISM
- This course aims at helping students understand the definition of Korean classical literary criticism, its scope, theories, types, methods as well as comparison with those of Chinese, Japanese for the purpose of application through practice.
- LITERATURE AND MEDIA ARTS
- At present, the negotiation phenomenon of literature and visual arts around us is very active. This lecture is aimed at visual arts (films, TV dramas) based on literary text, understanding the genre negotiation phenomenon of literature and video art, and studying specific cases. Through this lecture, I hope you will actively understand the cultural phenomenon of adaptation and further motivate you to adapt the original work.
- PRACTICE OF DRAMA WRITING
- Based on my understanding of visual arts, I would like to practice creating a real drama. To this end, we will try to understand the techniques of film, scenario creation techniques, and adaptation creation in the first half of the lecture, and analyze the examples of drama creation in the second half and create works. Through this, we will expand our understanding of visual arts and provide opportunities to create works by acquiring creative skills.
- READINGS ON LINGUISTICS IN FOREIGN LANGUAGE
- In this class, Students will knows the ability to read English in the course of the linguistic linguistics, while simultaneously learning the basic concepts of linguistics.
- STUDIES IN TEACHING KOREAN LITERATURE
- This course focuses on understanding and applying objectives, concepts, content, teaching and learning methods, assessment and appreciation regarding teaching literature. This course will give the students who will be future teachers the opportunity to enhance their knowledge and abilities to study and teach. Furthermore, students will be able to reconsider the essence and purpose of literature and teaching literature.
- TEACHING KOREAN LANGUAGE
- The purpose of this lecture is to help students to improve ability to teach Korean as foreign language. The students will study the characteristics of Korean, Korean textbooks for foreigners, and effective methods to teach Korean as foreign language.
- UNDERSTANDING DISCOURSE
- The purpose of this course is to enhance the analytic abilities that is related to the nature of the discourse text, informational structure, the discourse as the socio-cultural practice and the communicative media, through the understanding and analysis the discouse which is the unit of actual communications.